TRS1-001 / TRS2-001 / TRS3-001
Duration of Campaign
November 2016 – Present
ASCO NS Lona & Caledoninan Vanguard
Winner - Health and Safety Award - Press & Journal Gold Awards 2017
Nominated - Innovation Award - Press & Journal Gold Awards 2017
Swire Oilfield Services was approached by BP to design and deliver a safer mode of tubular transportation offshore, following an HSE incident whereby a vessel deckhand narrowly escaped serious injury after walking on a stow of casing. After an investigation by BP, it was identified that although walking on pipe was against vessel operating procedures, it was common practice, often to attach or release trapped transit slings.
SOS, in partnership with BP and ASCO Group, has designed and developed a DNV 2.7-3 certified Tubular Rack System (TRS). This TRS has been developed to be used on any platform supply vessel, delivering a universal solution for safe handling and transportation of drill casing and tubulars from the quayside to the offshore installation. The key functions delivered by the TRS are the safe loading and unloading of casing and tubulars from quayside to platform, and safe and secure storage of tubulars while on vessel decks.
The SOS TRS was specifically designed to tackle some of the main safety and operational hazards, identified through the investigation of current practices utilised by supply vessels handling tubular transportation.
- Transit sling termination post allow slings to be efficiently and safely organised for the smooth loading and off loading of tubulars.
- Walkway sections to allow easy and safe access to casing and tubulars
- Clear and protected target areas for landing bundles
- ISO Twist locking system that can be fitted onto any vessel
The TRS was designed to ensure safe and timely installation onto any platform supply vessel.
- Improved safety for personnel on vessels
- Reduced load time at quayside and offshore, with total installation time approximately 60 minutes
- 25% increase in tubular carrying capacity improving operational efficiency
- 90% usable space when system is empty for maximum deck space utilisation